Weekly Interview #12 - Jake Wood Evans

Tell us about yourself and your work.

I’m a painter based in Brighton, I’m all about the Aesthetic. I guess I want to learn the craft of painting, learn how to paint like the old masters, ability gives you freedom to express yourself more poetically. take realism turn it upside down, throw in a handful of expressionism and mix in some minimalism for good measure. Who knows what the day will bring?



What got you started? What keeps you in?

I don’t have a clue what got me started probably the fact it was the one thing I ever really enjoyed at school. Stubbornness keeps me in, ambition and stubbornness are a formidable pair.

What/who inspires you? In what way?

Great art and artists mainly, I want to make people feel the way I feel when I look at something beautiful. Artists I’m into at the moment are, Rothko and Monet, they have become such household names its sometimes easy to forget the reality of their surreal relationships with the work they made. and the scale of it!!

What is art for you? Examples of "real art"?

Good art for me, is something that takes control of how you feel, it gives you Goosebumps just from standing in front of it. its witnessing the artists hand the movement and the conviction of his or her desicion. some of my favourites are Velazquez, Bacon, Freud, Borrowmans. 


The most powerful/your favourite medium: picture, words, sounds? Anything else?

The most powerful medium is probably Music. I love music but I’m tone deaf, as for words this interview will show my incompetence with those, so I’ll stick to painting pictures.

Plans for future (of your work)?

I would love to start on some big old altarpiece,  I love the potential of painting you can do anything. I want to see what I’m capable of.


Anything you'd like to add? Maybe a song, a picture, hello to friends and family?

I’m bored of “Street Art”


No comments:

Post a Comment